Register for Youth Fall Sports
Find all resources that involve many aspects of keeping Hutchinson’s community active and engaged. We have everything from trail maps, biking safety, master plans and much more.
Bike & Pedestrian Master Plan
Over the next few years, we’re looking to create bike boulevards, expand our trail system, and create safe crossings for busy streets.
Walking Safety Tips:
- Cross the street at a designated crosswalk or intersection whenever possible.
- Don’t rely solely on pedestrian signals. Always look before you cross the road.
- Increase your visibility by carrying a flashlight, wearing light colors and reflective clothing.
- If possible, have a walking partner and only use well-lit walking paths
- It is safest to walk on a sidewalk or trail, but if one is not available, walk on the shoulder facing traffic.
General Tips for Biking:
- Ride with the flow of traffic
- Use hand signals when turning and stopping
- Obey traffic signs, signals, and lane markings. Yield to traffic when appropriate, including pedestrians.
- When possible, ride in the bike lane, bike route, paved shoulder, or trail.
Biking at Night:
- Use headlights, tail lights and reflectors
- Wear light colored and reflective clothing
- Try to be predictable and visible to drivers
- Keep a careful eye out for turning traffic at every intersection and driveway
- Always wear a helmet and never ride with headphones
- Practice defensive biking
The American League of Bicyclists has a great series of videos on smart cycling. Here are links to a few to get you started:
Be alert and watch for pedestrians and bicyclists at all times
- Avoid using cell phones and other distractions while driving
Be responsible: yield to pedestrians at crossings and give bicyclists room
- Yield to pedestrians when making a right or left turns at intersections
- Treat bicyclists like slow cars: do not tailgate and wait until traffic conditions allow you to pass safely with at least 3 feet of space between vehicle and bike.
Be patient: drive the speed limit and avoid agressive maneuvers
- Never pass or overtake a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians
- Novice riders and children can be unpredictable; expect the unexpected
- Heal Reno County
- Vitality Team of Reno County Facebook Page
- Walk Score – discover the most walkable areas of Hutchinson
- Keep Kids Fit
- Alliance for Biking & Walking
- People for Bikes
- KDOT Bicycle & Pedestrian Guide
- Kansas Cycling Association
- Kansas Cyclist
- Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center
- League of American Bicyclists
- Rails to Trails Conservancy
- The National Center for Bicycling & Walking
- Walk Kansas
- Safe Routes to School
- Get Outdoors Kansas
- National Institute on Aging – Exercise & Physical Activity
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Physical Activity