We are dedicated to uniting biking and walking resources aiming to create a healthier and more sustainable community.
If you’re interested in creating a community that embraces biking and walking, look no further! Bike Walk Hutch is your go-to hub for fostering a bicycle and pedestrian-friendly environment right here in Reno County.
Why Join Bike Walk Hutch? Become a part of the movement for change! By joining Bike Walk Hutch, you contribute to the vision of a more vibrant and active community. Plus, it won’t cost you a thing – joining our group absolutely free!
Together, Let’s Make a Difference! Join Bike Walk Hutch today and be part of the positive transformation towards a more bike and walk-friendly Hutch. Embrace a healthier lifestyle, connect with like-minded individuals, and let’s pedal and stroll towards a brighter future together!
Bike Walk Hutch Meet Ups
Meet with fellow cycling and walking enthusiasts in Hutchinson and Reno County. This is the perfect opportunity to learn all about Bike Walk Hutch while enjoying a leisurely bicycle ride or walk. Find out more information on the Bike Walk Hutch Facebook page.
Second Saturday Cycles
All are invited to be a part of our Second Saturday cycles. Meet at Mark’s Respite trailhead in Rice Park on the second Saturdays in May through August for a morning of cycling! Guides will be available for both long distance rides in Reno County and shorter, recreational rides at distance/pace of your choice. Reno County rides will include a cycling trip to a breakfast stop! Find more information with the Bike Walk Hutch Facebook Page.
Bike Walk Hutch Meetings
Join us for these quarterly lunch meetings where we’ll discuss group activities and events, as well as initiatives and messaging around biking and walking in the Hutchinson area. All meetings will take place at Hutch Rec Downtown, 17 E 1st Ave. Find more information with the Bike Walk Hutch Facebook Page.
Sand Plum Bicycle Classic
Support the Friends of the Trail Fund while enjoying a beautiful bicycle ride through Reno County in this annual event. Proceeds from this event support walking and cycling trails across Reno County. This even takes place the first Sunday in June.
Stay tuned registration coming soon!
Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan - City of Hutch
Over the next few years, we’re looking to create bike boulevards, expand our trail system, and create safe crossings for busy streets.
Walking Safety Tips
Walking Safety Tips:
- Cross the street at a designated crosswalk or intersection whenever possible.
- Don’t rely solely on pedestrian signals. Always look before you cross the road.
- Increase your visibility by carrying a flashlight, wearing light colors and reflective clothing.
- If possible, have a walking partner and only use well-lit walking paths
- It is safest to walk on a sidewalk or trail, but if one is not available, walk on the shoulder facing traffic.
Biking Safety Tips
General Tips for Biking:
- Ride with the flow of traffic
- Use hand signals when turning and stopping
- Obey traffic signs, signals, and lane markings. Yield to traffic when appropriate, including pedestrians.
- When possible, ride in the bike lane, bike route, paved shoulder, or trail.
Biking at Night:
- Use headlights, tail lights and reflectors
- Wear light colored and reflective clothing
- Try to be predictable and visible to drivers
- Keep a careful eye out for turning traffic at every intersection and driveway
- Always wear a helmet and never ride with headphones
- Practice defensive biking.
Driving Safety Tips
Be alert and watch for pedestrians and bicyclists at all times
- Avoid using cell phones and other distractions while driving
Be responsible: yield to pedestrians at crossings and give bicyclists room
- Yield to pedestrians when making a right or left turns at intersections
- Treat bicyclists like slow cars: do not tailgate and wait until traffic conditions allow you to pass safely with at least 3 feet of space between vehicle and bike.
Be patient: drive the speed limit and avoid agressive maneuvers
- Never pass or overtake a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians
- Novice riders and children can be unpredictable; expect the unexpected
Bicycle & Walking Links
- Heal Reno County
- Vitality Team of Reno County Facebook Page
- Walk Score – discover the most walkable areas of Hutchinson
- Keep Kids Fit
- Alliance for Biking & Walking
- People for Bikes
- KDOT Bicycle & Pedestrian Guide
- Kansas Cycling Association
- Kansas Cyclist
- Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center
- League of American Bicyclists
- Rails to Trails Conservancy
- The National Center for Bicycling & Walking
- Walk Kansas
- Safe Routes to School
- Get Outdoors Kansas
- National Institute on Aging – Exercise & Physical Activity
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Physical Activity