Apply Today for the Arts & Humanities Council
Hutch Rec and the City of Hutchinson work together to provide cohesive parks and recreation services. Together, along with the support from Heal Reno County, we are undertaking a planning effort to better understand resident usage and needs for the park and recreation system.
Funding for this project was made possible by the Pathways to a Healthy Kansas initiative from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS). BCBSKS is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
THANK YOU, City of Hutchinson & Hutch Rec, for adopting the Parks & Recreation Master Plan for our community!
Project Updates & Timeline
- Monday, February 25 at 6 p.m.: Findings & Visioning Public Meeting with GreenPlay (Taylors’ Shady Lane Cabin at Dillon Nature Center)
- Tuesday, February 26 from 8-9:30 a.m.: Hutch Rec Board of Commissioners & Hutchinson City Council joint meeting with GreenPlay to discuss findings and visioning (City Council chambers)
- Tuesday, April 23 from 9-10:30 a.m.: Master Plan Draft Findings with GreenPlay – Joint Meeting with Hutch Rec Board of Commissions & Hutchinson City Council (City Council chambers)
- Tuesday, April 23 at 6 p.m.: Draft Findings Public Meeting (Location: Shears Technology Center on the HCC Campus, 1300 N. Plum)
- Tuesday, May 21: Final approval of Parks & Recreation Master Plan with GreenPlay during Hutchinson City Council meeting
This project is to create the City of Hutchinson and Hutch Rec’s combined Healthy Communities and Parks & Recreation Master Plan, integrated with the enhancements from GP RED’s Surveillance and Management Toolkit. This will be a full master plan focused on research and health outcomes to address positioning parks and recreation in Hutchinson as partners for prioritizing and addressing preventative public health factors.
A nationally known parks and recreation management consulting firm, GreenPlay LLC, was hired to oversee this process. Funding for this project was made possible by the Pathways to a Healthy Kansas initiative from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS). BCBSKS is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Heal Reno County is also a partner in our parks and recreation master plan process.
Findings & Analysis
Final Adoption: Hutchinson’s Healthy Community Parks and Recreation Master Plan
From our April 23 public meetings:
Healthy Community Parks & Recreation Master Plan (Presentation – low-resolution file)
Healthy Community Parks & Recreation Master Plan (DRAFT document – low-resolution file)